Former Sunderland and Wigan Athletic manager Steve Bruce is baffled as to why he was not offered the Wolves job.
The 51-year-old was runaway favourite in the soccer betting to take the job and he says the club led him to believe he was going to be Mick McCarthy’s permanent successor at Molineux, only to seemingly have a change of heart at the last minute.
McCarthy’s assistant, Terry Connor, was handed the managerial reins until the end of the season, since when Wolves have hit back from two goals down to draw 2-2 at Newcastle United before suffering a disastrous 5-0 drubbing at Fulham last Sunday, results that have left the club struggling to avoid relegation to the Championship.
Indeed punters who bet on relegation have put their money on Wolves to go this season after a nightmare month following the dismissal of McCarthy.
Bruce had an initial meeting with chief executive Jez Moxey and owner Steve Morgan last month and insists he was given a strong indication that he was going to be appointed after being handed a second interview.
The 51-year-old ex-Manchester United stalwart said: “At one stage, I was close, but it wasn’t to be. It’s their prerogative.
“I said to my good lady I thought I was back to work. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen. I’m disappointed.”
Bruce has been without a job since being sacked by Sunderland in November.
He has had a varied managerial career since starting out at Sheffield United almost 14 years ago.
Bruce spent just one season at Bramall Lane before going on to have brief spells in charge of Huddersfield Town, Wigan Athletic and Crystal Palace.
He then spent almost six years at Birmingham City before returning to Wigan in November 2007. Bruce left the Latics at the end of the 2008-09 campaign to take the managerial hot-seat at Sunderland.